Outdated Advice

Power, Heat, Water

Outdated Advice

Postby Ekiwinox » 17 May 2017 23:10

For some reason the lead story on my hometown television news story online was how to prepare for disaster. It was pretty pedestrian and outdated. The old fill your bathtub with water before a storm should have the warning of not if you have young-ens who might wander into there with no supervision. The whole fill five gallon buckets with water also needs the unless you have toddlers around as five gallon buckets with a bit of water in and toddlers is not a good combination. Their other hints were pretty good and much more comprehensive and easier to follow than usual. The whole lead article out of no where was sort of puzzling. This had useful lists of stuff to do unlike the fluff they put out before serious impending weather emergencies such as the 100 year storms we have two of every year. Maybe it was a slow news day cough or they hired a 50 year old person who actually looked up information and wrote an article. Oh and I have never seen a tub that did not have a slow leak that all the water went away in two hours.
Ekiwinox

Re: Outdated Advice

Postby Kolt » 17 May 2017 23:39

That is what the Water BOB is for.

https://www.amazon.com/WaterBOB-Emergen ... =water+bob

It addresses those issues.

Take care,
K
"I do today what others will not do, so I can do tomorrow what others cannot do" ... unknown
"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty." Proverbs 27:12
Kolt

Re: Outdated Advice

Postby kmussack » 22 May 2017 03:04

So much of the Emergency Planning and advising is done by governmental bureaucrats holding a different view of preparedness.

In other cases there are academics publishing their ideas on the matter as viewed through their own prism.

Some time ago I took an online course from the University of Pittsburgh through Coursera called Disaster Preparedness.
As it turned out the course was focused on the organized response by .gov and NGOs to limited/localized disasters and not so much about "beans, bullets & band-aids".
But I got a good look inside the machine and a better understanding of the common mindset of the "experts".

We're on our own in this.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Return to Off the Grid