Barbed wire (and other perimeter security)

Gadgets and Methods

Re: Barbed wire (and other perimeter security)

Postby Fusilier » 30 Jul 2010 19:54

Joe wrote:
dukman wrote:The real problem will be when the pros decide if they can't come in, they will try to get you to come to them. If you look back into the middle ages, more siege battles were won not by blasting away the side of a building, but by waiting until their supplies ran out.

"Breakout from Encirclement"
It is one of the most difficult military maneuvers.
And worth studying...

Alright Joe... any suggestions as to a manual or book to study this?
Fusilier

Postby Joe » 31 Jul 2010 07:36

Fusilier wrote:Alright Joe... any suggestions as to a manual or book to study this?

Google is your friend, my friend...

Here, I'll do some keystroke work for you:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... Ch5.htm#s4

In the realm of military science, this is Master's level stuff...
There is a lot left unsaid because it is assumed.
Break out from encirclement is an operation which is comprised of a variety of "sub operations" and tactics...

Which is not to say the layman cannot get anything out of the reference above.
Happy reading :)
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby Fusilier » 31 Jul 2010 16:33

Thank you. I'll get to my studies shortly, O Schoolmaster! :D
Fusilier

Postby sapper21b10 » 01 Feb 2013 12:23

gotta love tangelfoot obsticals concertina wire tank ditches and landmines. something that most people dont realises in a wrol situation barb wire and concrete arent teh only way to make people go the way yopu want them to. A perfict example of this is the abateze. prety sure i spelled that wrong but its the best i can remember. it uses nothing but trees set on a certain angle to stop damn near anything that moves. ponds leves and ditches work very well too. the biggest thing when considering perimiter security is that you do your best to tie into the local terrain and build it in layers. it can take time energy and supplies and nothing is completly inpervious but the harder you make the target the easier it is to take care of the problem at a distance.
remember to add p for plenty in all your calculations and ill see you on the far side of the breach

its not a true explosion till you can see it from space

Essayons
sapper21b10

Postby DIM TIM » 31 May 2013 19:09

Just came in here to read, and noticed something about the photo. The tanglefoot is barbed.......doesn't have to be though. From what I have read on the use of tanglefoot, the idea is to slow the invader to where well placed rifle fire is brought to maximum effect. I figured that solid fencing wire like the kind that is used with electric livestock fencing, would work if placed at multiple heighths starting at knee heighth to cause the attacker to step over the wire. And by placing the wires closer together for depth penetration, the posibility for trips would increase, and so the forward movement would be slowed even that much more.

I realize that the barbed wire would entangle the attacker better than the solid electric wire would, and would snarl a vehicles tires and drive shaft, but even the solid wire still would slow forward progress, and with small children like in Gator24's situation, it would be a slightly safer alternitive. Besides that, if the country experiences a SHTF or TEOTWAWKI situation, I don't think that there will be too many good intentioned government types out and about that are going to enforce code and zoning rules when some people that are prepared stick out a dozen or so rolls of barbed and razor wire around their property.

Just as a side note.......I know of a residential property in a good sized city close by, that is in a high crime area, and has an 8' tall chainlink fence surrounding the property, is topped by 3 strands of barbed wire, and has the decorative metal weaving between all the chainlink to discourage climbing.
"It has been said that preparedness and being prepared promotes fear. This isn't true.......being UNPREPARED is what promotes fear."
DIM TIM
DIM TIM

Postby buckeyebob » 14 Jun 2013 08:44

I'm stringing barbed wire just this morning but I think the really effective security system here is the two German Shepherds and my Daughters half Rott/Pit mix. They are incedibly sensitive to intruders. They will be laying down supposedly snoozing and I will notice ear movement. Next the head comes up and they sniff the wind. Next you hear a low growl and they head to the door. You look out and there is a kid walking down the road a half mile away and they heard him or smelled him somehow . They will often take a cue from the neighbors dogs a mile down the road and want out to sniff around and growl at whatever they can find. Downright nasty tempered beasts but they love their family and think that G-D put them here to protect and guard over them.
buckeyebob

Postby sapper21b10 » 07 Nov 2013 17:53

from what ive read is that geese are an excellent early warning device. they seem to have good senses and make one hell of a racket. but when laying down your defensive basics make sure you plan ahead and use provided terrain. a stream bed makes a great way to stop vehicles blackberry bushes and hawthorn are good against people. a wadi or washout make for slow progress. a thick treeline works double duty. if planted right with the right mix of trees it can be a physical barrier as well as a wind break. and you dont always need to destroy an area to deny it. if you love on a road where theres a lot of drainage removing a culvert is effective against casual passerby's. even a pond can make going slower and funnel people into where you want them to go.
remember to add p for plenty in all your calculations and ill see you on the far side of the breach

its not a true explosion till you can see it from space

Essayons
sapper21b10

Postby ke4sky » 07 Nov 2013 22:54

Guinea Fowl are another good choice for an animal alarm system. Good eating, prolific layers, get along well with chickens, and are voracious tick eaters!

http://sshomestead.com/forum/index.php?topic=1974.0
73 de KE4SKY
FM09, Berkeley County, WV
Almost Heaven
ke4sky

Postby Joe » 08 Nov 2013 12:12

In my experience (about a decade) Guineas are not prolific layers. But they do taste good, quickly learn what "normal" is and go OFF when strange people cars or other show up.

We just got four geese and they also go off on strangers - loudly and with much wing flapping display
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby DIM TIM » 09 Nov 2013 21:16

Joe wrote:In my experience (about a decade) Guineas are not prolific layers. But they do taste good, quickly learn what "normal" is and go OFF when strange people cars or other show up.

We just got four geese and they also go off on strangers - loudly and with much wing flapping display

Saw an article in the local paper once back in the 80's, where the military was adding flocks of domestic geese around their Euro bases just for that reason. Drew a lot of attention for security patrols. Supposed to be as good or even better in some cases than K9's.
"It has been said that preparedness and being prepared promotes fear. This isn't true.......being UNPREPARED is what promotes fear."
DIM TIM
DIM TIM

PreviousNext

Return to Surveillance and Security