Barbed wire (and other perimeter security)

Gadgets and Methods

Re: Barbed wire (and other perimeter security)

Postby kmussack » 19 Apr 2016 08:35

Keep in mind when making your barrier plan;

1. Don’t inadvertently create cover and concealment for your adversaries.
2. Provide for continuous observation or remote monitoring of your security barriers / perimeter.
3. Leave lanes in your wire that you can use for emergency egress. Mark these egress lanes in a way that isn’t obvious to your adversaries but can be easily recognized by you and your people especially at night.
4. Consider the inclusion of Anti-Ram Vehicle Barriers. (See #1.)
5. Integrate intrusion alarms, flares, etc.
6. Remember to regularly treat with herbicide and animal repellent.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby Dwills2 » 19 Apr 2016 10:13

One of the things i have been thinking about is razor wire on a standard fence. I have a standard wood/plank fence around my property. Would it be worth it to put razor wire just under the lip in a neat line on the inside of the fence? Anyone climbing it wouldn't see it until they caught their hands on it. Seems like it would be a good low profile precaution in suburban Alaska(rural by most west coats standards). Any thoughts?

Also, thats a cool foot trap Joe. I could imagine the PITA that would be to get through.
"The future is wonderful, for it stands on what has already been achieved"
Dwills2

Postby kmussack » 22 Apr 2016 07:49

Oh yes, one other thing.
Prior to the emergency, emplacement of military grade barriers to include tangle foot and razor tape may bring with it serious civil and possible criminal liability.
Back in the early 80's we were experimenting with a razor tape dispenser that attached to the back of a deuce and a half.
We left the barrier up over night and upon returning the next day found an adult white tailed deer dead in the tape. It wasn't pretty.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby kmussack » 23 Aug 2016 04:41

Somebody talk me out of this.

I've found a source within a 2-hour drive that's selling new, USGI, surplus concertina wire.

$699/pallet, 40-rolls, each roll when deployed will cover 50-feet. (I think that's stretching it.)

My guess is that one pallet will build approximately 500-feet of triple concertina barrier.
That's enough to comfortably encircle the residence and out-buildings.

Add 100 T-posts, a driver, gloves and a crew of three guys this barrier could be erected in a day.
Last edited by kmussack on 11 Jul 2017 04:02, edited 1 time in total.
kmussack

Postby Joe » 23 Aug 2016 08:04

I think if $700 is doable this is excellent. As you know, one could store this pallet outside until needed - not taking up caluable indoor storage space. One could:
Determine where barriers will go
Clear that land as needed
As tensions increase, emplace the major t-posts
When the time come - install the wire.

We lived on or near army bases for 20 years. While hunting I found all kinds of stuff. Found LOTS of concertina. But we moved every two years or so and I was over my weight limit so I never got any wire. Now I dont live near a base.
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Previous

Return to Surveillance and Security