New Episode of Tyler Grey's Greyman...Home Security

Gadgets and Methods

New Episode of Tyler Grey's Greyman...Home Security

Postby Kolt » 09 Sep 2016 01:09

Home Security Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajwJSsRmDhA

Here are a few of the previous episodes when the series was getting started for those who missed them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6DDsJVNeK4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86w7kQzanZ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cFExML5U2w

Take care,
K
"I do today what others will not do, so I can do tomorrow what others cannot do" ... unknown
"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty." Proverbs 27:12
Kolt

Re: New Episode of Tyler Grey's Greyman...Home Security

Postby Larry G » 09 Sep 2016 03:07

Kolt,

Thanks for those. I'm always looking for additional home security thoughts. Greyman gives me an interesting perspective on the subject.

I tend to look at home security in layers. Nothing will stop a determined thief, but layers grant me a bit more time to react. My biggest advantage lies with my dogs. I have no doubt that I've been probed on occasion. Over the years I've had three or four suspicious cars pull into the driveway. (Those are the ones I know about.) Most don't make it ten foot before the dogs come out raising a fuss. One vehicle made it almost to the house, but immediately reversed when the dogs came out. I know the difference between the dogs barks. I can tell when they're "howlin' at the moon" or when they're truly upset. I always investigate when they're upset.

Dogs aren't a complete answer either. I don't have one of those long winding rural driveways, but a gate and a fence would help improve my security level. Living in the country as I do, I'm always visibly armed (chest holster). That sends a message as well. The neighbors are comfortable with it, but outsiders are noticeably uncomfortable when visiting. It's kind of funny to me. I see the Judge as a tool. I've broke up dog fights before they got serious, killed a couple of snakes, an armadillo, run off stray dogs, coyotes, and actually saved the life of one of my dogs with it. It could be an aggressive weapon, but I don't look at it as such. There's an old saying of, "A weapon is kind of like a parachute. When you need one, you don't have time to run home to get it."

I need to get back to that fence and gate thing. That's a job I may have to hire out.

Greyman added to my favorites list.
What's wrong with being antisocial when society is a sick SOB? - Me

Words are meaningless, the intent behind them is what counts. – Me
Larry G

Postby Nordic Betty » 17 Sep 2016 01:33

-
Last edited by Nordic Betty on 14 Oct 2016 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
Nordic Betty

Postby kmussack » 17 Sep 2016 03:04

My wife and I walked home last night under a full harvest moon after a bonfire at our daughter's place.

About 50-meters from our house we could hear Virgil's baritone bark (approx. 80 db) booming from our house.

He announced our approach for everyone to hear, something an ADT system can't do.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby whls4legs » 27 Sep 2016 10:33

I suppose we were Greypeople before it had a name. We've always thought it important to not stand out, to look and behave as the others in our 'neighborhood'. Nothing pretentious. This is relitavely poor country.

While we have a large acreage, the core we protect is less than three acres. Entrances are gated and locked always. The buildings are lit with dtd security lights and other simple but loud alerts. The neighbors who don't know me and the delivery people who don't get past the gate think I'm a grouchy old fart in ratty clothes in a wheelchair. The ones who I do engage know I'm a grouchy old fart in a wheelchair that is always there to help with their animals, welding broken equipment, fencing, dirt work, or whatever is asked.

Our profile and footprint are grey. We look and act just like most of the other folks that live out here.

Dogs are integral to our security. When we came here we were inundated with stray dumped dogs. While not particularly fond of people, we care about animals, and soon began to rescue dogs. Clean, neuter, and adopt. This evolved over the years into more positives for us than we could have antipicated. Unadoptable animals remained here with homes for life and the symbiotic relationship that evolved over the years became a priceless part of our safety plan.

We've lost some of the 'old guard' these last couple years, the old crippled up nasty bastards like myself, and have found them difficult to replace. You know, first loves and all.

This 16 year story really does rate it's own more detailed telling. The dogs certainly deserve it. I'll work on it.
whls4legs

Postby Kolt » 27 Sep 2016 17:30

"I do today what others will not do, so I can do tomorrow what others cannot do" ... unknown
"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty." Proverbs 27:12
Kolt

Postby Larry G » 27 Sep 2016 17:52

Does anyone have experience with security window film?

Larry G

Postby Kolt » 27 Sep 2016 18:29

Larry G wrote:Does anyone have experience with security window film?

Just the 3M type. Believe it or not, the Army had it put on the windows of the recruiting station I was assigned to back in 2005. We were in a 'not so nice' part of Los Angeles. :)

There are several types out there on the market.

Take care,
K
Kolt

Postby kmussack » 28 Sep 2016 07:11

Security Film applied to the glass of a window after it's been installed fails to provide the protection it advertises.
The film must extend into the window framing thereby tieing the glass to the frame.
Otherwise it just keeps the glass pieces together when the window is broken out.
If you apply film to an existing window tie the film into the frame somehow.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby Larry G » 28 Sep 2016 10:14

kmussack wrote:If you apply film to an existing window tie the film into the frame somehow.

Thanks, kmussack. How to anchor is my biggest problem at the moment. I'm not convinced the Wet Glaze method would be that sturdy and finding detailed information on other anchoring methods/systems is difficult. Guess I'll keep looking. I'll find what I need sooner or later.

Larry G

Return to Surveillance and Security