Drones

Gadgets and Methods

Drones

Postby kmussack » 05 Dec 2016 14:39

Imagine how a drone or squadron of drones could be used to help you and your community stay aware of your surroundings in a grid-down/post collapse scenario.
As an example the DJI Phantom 3 drone has a flight time of 23 minutes and a control distance of 5 kilometers.
Purchase price: $689.00
Extra Battery: $128.99

You hear gunfire from the direction of your neighbor’s house a mile and a half to the north and you can’t raise him on the radio. You need to know what’s going on now. Mounting your trusty four-wheeler and racing off to see might not be the best plan.

Weather conditions permitting; launch a drone. With a maximum air speed of almost 60 mph a drone could be orbiting your neighbor’s place within three minutes of launch. For operations after dark the video camera can be augmented with night vision/thermal capabilities and the navigation lights on the drone can be blacked out or converted to IR.

Wondering what all those sirens are about out by the main road? Launch a drone.

You’d like to know how far that wildfire has advanced since last night. Launch a drone.

With a squadron of drones, say six aircraft, a regular patrol of your community’s perimeter could be mounted occupying the time of only two people. Flying a drone doesn’t require any amount of physical strength or stamina so this mission could be given to someone in the group who is for whatever reason incapable of heavy physical labor or too young for risky activities.

The patrol flight path required to circumnavigate my community is approximately 8-miles. With a ground speed of 30 mph it would take a drone like the DJI Phantom approximately 16-minutes to make one lap. This would leave a margin of 30% on the battery life of that drone.

With a two person crew one drone aloft at a time would occupy their time fully. In times of elevate diligence more people and drones could be dedicated to the aerial patrol operations.

With a budget of $1,000 per drone set a small squadron could be assembled for the cost of a four-wheeler.

Drones are not perfect. They can’t fly in high winds or icing conditions. They are vulnerable to jamming and small arms fire. Like any mechanical thing they break down.

However having a couple of teenagers sitting in the Tactical Operations Center (TOC) of my community flying drones around is far more appealing to me than putting those kids into harm’s way doing combat patrols.

(Drones can also screen the front and flanks of your patrols as well. A real FORCE multiplier.)
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Re: Drones

Postby Ekiwinox » 05 Dec 2016 19:55

Well if you have not been naughty...

I'm thinking car insurance rates for girls used to be lower than for boys. But then I'm balancing that with the 5 billion hours each young American male has spent with a controler. I never purchased an X box or whatever those other things are so he made due with free online tank games. So I guess if I need a mini drone tank driver I'm all set. I'm wondering the chances of getting the plane drone back in one piece for a girl, a boy, an adult female, and adult male all of who would fall into this job spot for various reasons. After watching various adults fail at digital camera 101 I'm going with the youngens for the win. I'm also thinking that girls pretty much drive like they always have a baby in a carseat in the backseat. I wonder if prospective pilots cold select a decal to be placed on "their" drone to get the ownership effect and increase the percentage of flights returned to base. A while ago for maybe $75 each we had a nice meal and got to go up in a small plane. At some point the pilot asked if the person in front wanted to fly it. In the back seat I grabbed onto the walls and screamed NOoooooo to no avail. Note: The meal was horrible. The flight was not anything we had ever done before. So note, unless you want your wife flying you around in a tiny, little, plane be sure you ride shotgun and she is in the backseat. Something like that might be a nice experience for the human part of your future air force. I'm thinking for $75 in 2000 dollars it should increase the drone return to base rate somehow maybe by magic. If planes can run on auto pilot can not drones? I'm wondering where drones land? Do they need little landing strips? To sort of double how far they can travel... two individuals can fly a plane towards the other, refuel and send back. Mixed with radio communication this sounds even more fun than model railroading of yore.

"Flying a drone doesn’t require any amount of physical strength or stamina so this mission could be given to someone in the group who is for whatever reason incapable of heavy physical labor or too young for risky activities."

"However having a couple of teenagers sitting in the Tactical Operations Center (TOC) of my community flying drones around is far more appealing to me than putting those kids into harm’s way doing combat patrols."
Don't Start No Stuff. Won't Be No Stuff. ~Sister Kate

"If those people did not bug out on 9-11... they are never going to bug out." ~PJF

"The whole world hates us, including our allies." ~Pastor Dowell
Ekiwinox

Postby kmussack » 06 Dec 2016 06:41

Ekiwinox, no offence but I'm having difficulty finding a message in your post.

Drones are designed to be as easy to fly as possible.
This means that the drone does most of the work through advanced automation.
There are options which allow the operator, I'm loath to call this person a "pilot", to program a flight or a portion of a flight.
There are various navigation methods and automated return home software routines.
Most drones are multi rotor vertical take off and landing machines so no runway is required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHmOVShIspc

Many of today's youngsters are well prepared to take over as operators of such machines. This is one rare benefit to video gaming.

“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby Joe » 06 Dec 2016 08:04

I have thought about this a lot.
They can also be used in advance of a patrol - like scouts. The patrol can carry extra batteries and the operator can land the drone on the patrol to "re fuel". I like the idea of multiple drones better but $$$$
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby kmussack » 06 Dec 2016 09:29

Then there is this bad motor-scooter, the Vanguard 35 kilometer long range surveillance drone for a mere $38,000. (I’d have to limit the size of my “squadron”.)
Of course this topic then begs the question; What about counter drone TTPs?
Finally!!!! A reason for me to buy that Benelli Super Black Eagle Goose Gun.
Last edited by kmussack on 06 Dec 2016 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
kmussack

Postby whls4legs » 06 Dec 2016 10:41

Thought about this as well as I have a good deal of area to keep an eye on. Adjoining property occupiers may, (will), not be anxious to be surveiled. And will react poorly. Goose or turkey loads will drop this high dollar plastic like a rock. And your airborne go pro will not see it coming.

One near us in the air would be considered advesarial, and delt with. And that's today.

Eki; the good ones can find their way home alone. No kid drivers needed, just kid programmers. In fact, they can fly a pre-determined route and return to ground. My kids, (38 and 34, kids?), play with them, and one has already been 'forced down' by annoyed rural neighbor. $1300 privacy lesson. Tried to tell 'em.

I sent my boys on the 'Cessna fun ride' as little ones. It stuck on one. Now family flies free. Couple hundred bucks well spent.

Of course, this is just my opinion, your results may vary.
whls4legs

Postby mosby's men » 06 Dec 2016 12:50

i bought one of the 100 dollar drones , it is way harder to fly then i thought it would be . there is a deal to balance out the power from the motors spend some time and get that right it will
help the learning curve
2004,2005,2006,2007.2008,2009,2010,2011 ,2013,2014,2015 national winter B.O.B event
2009,2010 viking fest
2011 G.O.T'S
mosby's men
Viking Moderator

Postby kmussack » 06 Dec 2016 12:50

The Canada goose and your typical drone perform inside a similar aerodynamic envelope. They both also offer similarly sized vital targets. Where they differ is that an old “Honker” can take a lickin’ and keep on tickin’ whereas a drone simply cannot sustain damage and continue to fly.

So for counter drone ground fire the goose gun appears to be our first choice.

Example;
If a drone goes zooming past the shooter going 30 mph at a slant range of 65 yards he’ll have to apply an 8-foot lead to the drone, fire and follow through. Assuming all this is done right and the 5-foot long 4-foot diameter shot string containing 77 BBs and the drone both arrive in the same place at the same time the drone will dwell in that “death zone” long enough for the entire shot string to pass through that shared space.

Can’t miss you say?

I’m here to tell you that I’ve missed similar shots on Sky-Carp hundreds of times.

It’s starting to look like killing drones isn’t as easy as first thought. Oh if the drone hovers a few feet from the shooter it’s like shooting fish in a barrel. But if the drone is flown at a minimum altitude of 250-feet AGL (Above Ground Level) it will stay well outside the effective range of any shotgun.

If the drone maintains an airspeed of at least 30-mph it becomes almost impossible to hit with any firearm.

How does one seize and hold air superiority? The answer; with other airplanes.

Enter, the anti-drone drone.

Dunn Dunn Daaaaaaah!!
kmussack

Postby whls4legs » 06 Dec 2016 13:06

The up-state New York skies will be dark with flocks of Glock-welding, goose-like, buzzing andriods. Dogfighting.

Why not!!!
whls4legs

Postby Joe » 08 Dec 2016 08:37

I too thought of adding a goose gun and taking up trap/skeet.
As for other counter drone ops - I like going after the operator and control system.
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Next

Return to Surveillance and Security