New Alarm system

Gadgets and Methods

New Alarm system

Postby Theo » 29 Dec 2016 06:31

Hi and Happy Holidays.

I have had an alarm system for my house for years. When it's tripped, it takes over the land line, dials the alarm company, who then calls me to see if its legit. This election year drove me to upgrade to a digital wireless system. The only people calling me on the land line were politicians asking for my vote and or money. Those types of calls, always at dinnertime or Sunday am were driving us nuts. So I had the upgrade done and it worked fine. Two weeks ago, the alarm went off at 2am, telling me that there was a breach in the garage entry door. I could not visualize this particular door unless I unlocked the main door and stepped into the garage. I elected to stay put. The alarm company called me within a minute. I told them my situation and that I had armed myself with a firearm. He dispatched the police. I told my wife to lock the door to the bedroom and stay down. About 5 minutes later the police dispatcher called me to tell me the officers were a minute out. She asked me to lock up my weapon and stay inside the house.I did exactly what she ordered me too. I also told her what clothes I was wearing, my physical size and that I would be opening the front door when the officers came. At any rate, it turned out to be a false alarm due to a programming error by the alarm installer.

The biggest lesson for me was how I reacted. I found that my emotion was quiet fury that someone was trying to break into my house. In the end, it was much ado about nothing. I would be interested if any of you would have handled it differently under the same circumstances.

And Happy New Year

Theo
"Everything in Moderation except Love and War."
Theo

Re: New Alarm system

Postby Joe » 29 Dec 2016 09:14

Where were you if wife locked door?
I would not have greeted police with a firearm in my hand but I certainly would not have locked it up, either.

Sounds like you did fine
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Re: New Alarm system

Postby Theo » 29 Dec 2016 09:27

Hi,

My wife was in our bedroom behind a locked reinforced door and I was outside in the hallway facing the door to the garage that was also locked. For once, she did what I asked her to do. :)
"Everything in Moderation except Love and War."
Theo

Return to Surveillance and Security