Long Range Reconnaissance For the Common Person

Gadgets and Methods

Long Range Reconnaissance For the Common Person

Postby Kolt » 09 Apr 2017 12:18

A while back Joe put on a course regarding security patrolling. This is the first step IMO.

Now comes the next step.

What is going on outside of your local domain, however large that local domain may be? It may be your homestead, your community, or ever larger, but the bottom line is that there is stuff going on beyond your local domain.

How to we learn what is going on beyond our local domain?

Well, in a WROL situation, worse case scenario with no power, so no radio, TV, internet, what have you, we need to do what was done prior to all of those things. We need to go out there and see for ourselves.

From a military background there are several groups with various capabilities that conduct these types of operations.

The SMUs have their Recce units.
SF has its Special Reconnaissance teams.
The USMC has Force and Battalion Reconnaissance units.
The Rangers have their RRCs (Previously RRD)
I’m sure the SEALs have something like a Recce squad.
Even the conventional infantry, of which I used to be a part of, has its Scout Platoons and LRSUs.

The mission of all of these units is to go out into the unknown and report back what they find.

This is all simple enough. The questions is how do we do this at the level of the common person and with common tools/equipment?

I see this as combining a few different skill sets.

1. Basic patrolling similar to the course that Joe recently taught.
2. Basic observation skills
3. Long range photography, because a picture is worth 1000 words
4. BLOS communication (probably HF) in order to communicate back to the rear what is found (for early warning).
5. Tracking skills in order to follow any sign/trails encountered ‘out there’ to see where they go in order to confirm/deny if they are a threat to your local domain
6. Counter-tracking skills to ensure that others are not tracking you
7. Do all of the above without getting compromised

Of course these seven categories of skills can be broken down into multiple tasks that need to be learned/mastered.

Is this something that members of this forum would like to discuss?

If so, please post your questions/contributions/comments.

If not, that is OK too :). I realize this isn’t for everyone.

I just thought I’d bring it up for discussion. I realize that these skills cannot be learned over the internet and must be taught in a hands on environment similar to Joe’s patrolling course, but we can discuss various aspects, if so desired.

Take care,
K
"I do today what others will not do, so I can do tomorrow what others cannot do" ... unknown
"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty." Proverbs 27:12
Kolt

Return to Surveillance and Security