GENERAL AVIATION

Bug Out Vehicles - what goes in them and how to employ them

Moderator: Missourian

GENERAL AVIATION

Postby kmussack » 07 Aug 2017 06:53

I have no idea how many other Vikings are also certificated private pilots.
I was wondering who else might include an aircraft as a means of egress in an emergency.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Re: GENERAL AVIATION

Postby Joe » 09 Aug 2017 07:43

Great skill set and nice toys to have.
Too much money for me though
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby kmussack » 09 Aug 2017 10:56

The fun/money ratio is low but as a skill set it opens options not otherwise available. I saw to it that my son had the opportunity to get his private pilot certificate also. It was a great confidence builder for him. Most general aviation aircraft lack legs and deicing capabilities so they are limited in their usefulness by weather. But in an emergency a C182 can be just the ticket for getting out of Dodge.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby Ekiwinox » 09 Aug 2017 17:26

A local tiny airport had a dinner with a flight option for maybe $75. Note. Just skip the dinner so as to not die of food poisoning. The pilot let my spouse who was sitting next to him in the three person plane fly for a bit. !!!??? It did not say this in the advertisement. I in the back seat hung on tight to the ceiling so as to not perish. One foot above the ground is way to high for me. We learned my town is the town of many blue circles which are pools.

My child purchased for a friend the same deal as a nice birthday gift.

If people do not fly, this method is a way to get to know some stuff about airplanes.

If posters have younger children there may be a program near their airport called young eagles or something like that where pilots take young children up in airplanes . We did not have enough time among other activities to include this excellent program into our schedule.
Ekiwinox

Postby kmussack » 10 Aug 2017 06:39

You could say that aviation is in our blood.
My paternal, biological, grandfather was an aviator in the early days of flight.
He subsequently died in an air crash.

My father's twin brother was an aviator in the WWII, United States Army Air Forces.
Here shown on the right.
He also died in an air crash.

Aviation is inherently dangerous.
kmussack

Postby mosby's men » 30 Aug 2017 13:56

i was flying sail planes for a while but it was a 4 hour drive to the nearest glider port so i would have to go for the whole weekend .
once i soloed i just would go up there and fly and stopped going for my lisc.
if i ever were to win the powerball i would buy a jet powered sailplane .
press one button the jet comes out and starts running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p49KHX4ksKw

my wife got me a power flight instruction it is amazing how stress free landings are when you have a motor in your plane.
sailplanes every landing has to be perfect.
2004,2005,2006,2007.2008,2009,2010,2011 ,2013,2014,2015 national winter B.O.B event
2009,2010 viking fest
2011 G.O.T'S
mosby's men
Viking Moderator

Postby kmussack » 31 Aug 2017 03:49

I live about 90-minutes north of Elmira, NY (Harris Hill, Soaring Capital of the World).
With my existing certification I can get my glider add-on (endorsement) with a little work.

FAA Minimums: (FAR 61.109 f 2)

Must have logged at least 40 hours of flight time as a pilot.
Minimum of 3 hours of flight time in a glider, including:
A minimum of 10 solo flights;
A minimum of 3 training flights in preparation for the practical test.

The upside of soaring for me is that no medical certificate is required.

It's about time and motivation.....maybe after I retire.
kmussack

Postby mosby's men » 31 Aug 2017 11:26

if you havent flown a glider you should go check one out , the club i use to be in was near a air force base we had bomber pilots coming out to fly gliders
2004,2005,2006,2007.2008,2009,2010,2011 ,2013,2014,2015 national winter B.O.B event
2009,2010 viking fest
2011 G.O.T'S
mosby's men
Viking Moderator

Postby Ekiwinox » 02 Sep 2017 20:55

I was going to make a new post but then realized it fits into this topic. Sometimes one needs to get out of Dodge. Going to an airport and getting on a plane, the very next plane, any plane to anywhere may be a plan. Some airports have hotels attached to them. This can be handy. Some hotels have club rooms or club levels where breakfast and supper are served as part of the fee or room class with water, soda, snacks and fruit available the rest of the time. This can get one out of the fray. Driving out may not be the best option.
Ekiwinox

Return to BoV