Recovery insights

Bug Out Vehicles - what goes in them and how to employ them

Moderator: Missourian

Recovery insights

Postby Joe » 26 Aug 2008 07:18

Chocking a vehicle entails putting something (usually a specifically designed triangular shaped thingamabob) at the base of the tire in the direction of likely roll to prevent said roll from occurring.

Crew members chock aircraft as soon as they roll into position.
The military chocks wheeled vehicles upon parking.
Fire departments chock their trucks when they are parked.

Do you know I don’t even own chocks?
They make really cool, light-weight ones.
I reckon I’ll lock that barn door soon…

When recovering a BoV that has wrapped itself around a tree some tools prove useful:
A large pry bar
Tow straps
Tow chain
Shackles
Come along (poor man’s winch)
Cardboard
Blanket
Reciprocal saw (battery powered and charged up)
Bow saw
Pliers
Gloves would be nice – wish I could remember where I put mine…

These (and other) tools should be secured so that when your vehicle crashes they don’t all attack the back of your head simultaneously

A fence T-post makes a useful expedient pry bar -works fine and is light weight. The nubs provide a good gripping surface when trying to do something like, oh, pop the hood so that you can disconnect the battery so that the lights will turn off. It can also be used as a stake to provide a tie-off point for winching.

When using a winch or come along you need to place a “dampener” over the wire incase it snaps so that it doesn’t come back and schwack you in the mug. Winches are nice in that you can stand off-line while operating it. Come alongs don’t help here.

A targe... er, piece of cardboard works well to keep the gunk out of the come along when it is rigged near the ground on a steep slope.

Sometimes a vehicle that won’t drive forward will still drive backwards.

There is one headlight that is still intact - I paid over $200 for it about a month ago…
Photos here: http://vikingpreparedness.blogspot.com/ )
Ah well, time to get the Land Cruiser operational.
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Re: Recovery insights

Postby Vic303 » 26 Aug 2008 07:40

Dang! I hope nobody had injuries other than pride!
Vic303

Postby AK47 » 26 Aug 2008 08:07

Glad nobody was hurt. It looks like you shaved or trimmed since I saw you last. Those shirts are cool....when do they go on sale at the website? :D
AK47

Postby SurvivorTech » 17 Oct 2008 23:37

The bases off of the old style bumper jacks work good as chocks.Position 2 of them top to top in a wedge shape and weld.You may need a base plank if operating on soft ground.A 2x12x24 works good.Bridge planking works better.Its seasoned and very hard.
A Hi-Lift or Handy-Man jack is a excellent,all around tool in recovery situations.Lifting,pushing and pulling.They also double as a come-a-long and work sideways where hydraulics usually don't.
SurvivorTech

Postby Missourian » 13 Nov 2008 19:55

You may want to print the recovery article as linked http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/

This really provides you with an outstanding wealth of information for vehicle recovery for most every situation including self recovery.
I am the Båtsmann and together we prepare: "Make a Plan" - "Build a Kit" - "Get Trained" - "Get Involved In Your Local Government" - Remember: "A FAILURE TO PREPARE IS PREPARING TO FAIL!"
Missourian
Viking Moderator

Return to BoV