MY ABREVIATED BOB/KIT

Bug Out Bags - contents, theory, usage

Moderator: mosby's men

MY ABREVIATED BOB/KIT

Postby kmussack » 04 Aug 2017 03:08

When I'm riding the Tiger, (Don't you love that expression?) my motorcycle, my ability to carry gear is limited. The following is a "Junk On The Bunk" description of what I carry in one of the panniers.

All the gear is packed inside and on a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack for organization and ease of carry when dismounted. Wet weight is 14-pounds.

Here's the "Junk On A Bunk" display of the contents:

In the main compartment I pack a Gortex Parka.
Yes, it's camouflaged. The everyday wear of camouflaged clothing in my area is common and unremarkable.

In a zippered compartment intended for this purpose I carry a G17 with two spare magazines.
This weapon is equipped with tritium night sights and a Surefire X300 weapon's light. The ammunition is Federal Premium 124 grain Hydra-Shok JHP.

A one liter Nalgene bottle of water is included along with some water purification tablets.

Included are a few snacks.

Also carried are several means with which to light a fire. (The Bic will eventually be replaced with a specially prepared Zippo and all the matches are the Life Boat type.)

A Gerber Suspension multi-tool and a Rat-3 knife are also carried.

In addition to the weapon's light a general purpose light is also packed. In this case it is a Multi-Function Streamlight Sidewinder with IR capability.
I've included a change of batteries as well. I've made an effort to reduce the variety of battery types required by my gear. In this case the flashlight uses AA batteries.

I also pack a NUK-Alert radiation monitor/alarm.

For emergency communications and information I carry a handy talky (Baofeng BF-F8HP) programmed with several local repeaters.
It is equipped with a long whip antenna to enhance performance. In addition to its rechargeable power pack I carry a battery pack, again powered by AA batteries.

Finally, I pack two compasses; a Silva wrist compass and a Suunto orienteering compass.

There's also a hank of 550 cord thrown in for good measure.

I know there are a lot of items missing from this kit.
Sadly, compromises must be made for space and weight.
I must remind myself; Perfect is the enemy of good enough.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Re: MY ABREVIATED BOB/KIT

Postby Ekiwinox » 05 Aug 2017 08:17

"I've made an effort to reduce the variety of battery types required by my gear."

Which battery sizes are banished? For me it is the "C's".
Which battery sizes are anointed? For me it is the "AAA's".
Any thoughts on the 9 volt battery?
9 volts are used in smoke detectors, so i guess we are stuck with them.

How do you feel about the coin shaped batteries?

Hearing aids also have their own battery issues.

Anybody have any battery storage methods they would like to share?
Ekiwinox

Postby whls4legs » 05 Aug 2017 09:35

While I have a couple C batt torches I love, I agree about the Cs. Fortunately companies are moving to the AA. 9V batts live in ceiling fan controllers, smoke detectors, some garage door openers, and we're stuck with them.

The sooner CR123s are phased out, the better.

Weapon sights and lights are a huge mish mash of batt types. Coins, buttons, CRs, solar patch on hat wired to plug into gun sights.

My ATN takes AAs. Finally. (I can aim with my phone, and that's just stupid.)

As it is, there's an ocean of rechargeables, chargers, and ancillary battery crap to keep sorted. It's hard to upgrade/pare down/consolidate types, as that requires you retire functional, expensive stuff. Ouch.
whls4legs

Postby kmussack » 06 Aug 2017 04:20

With grandchildren about our supply of batteries is substantial. So many toys require batteries and of course each toy requires a different type.

We haven't banished any type or size of battery yet. It's become my habit to purchase in quantity via Amazon even the most obscure battery type/size.

I wish it were not so. I long for order instead of this battery chaos. But alas battery nirvana eludes me.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby whls4legs » 06 Aug 2017 06:46

kmussack wrote: I long for order instead of this battery chaos. But alas battery nirvana eludes me.

As it will all of us.
whls4legs

Return to BoB