REFRESHING THE BOB

Bug Out Bags - contents, theory, usage

Moderator: mosby's men

REFRESHING THE BOB

Postby kmussack » 24 Jul 2017 03:29

About twice a year I tear down my BOB to refresh some of the supplies.
I re-water the canteens, replace the peanut butter, function check & practice with the rifle, replace batteries, etc.
Then I pack everything back up and store the BOB in the usual place.

As an aside; I've found it convenient and useful to carry spare .22RF ammunition in 10-round speed strips. This method is secure, quiet and quickly accessible.
Carried this way 100-rounds fit neatly inside an old M1 carbine magazine pouch.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Re: REFRESHING THE BOB

Postby Pilgrim52 » 11 Sep 2017 20:07

I for one am duly impressed. You appear to have your needs well covered. Poncho/liner shelter, watch cap and nomex gloves, water, steel canteen cup, flashlight and spare bats, binoculars, cutting tools, (I don't see a sharpener) food, rifle and ammo, nylon cord, compass, toilet paper, etc. High quality gear, too. I cannot, of course, see everything so I'll make a few suggestions just in case. Your firemaking kit appears to consist of a butane lighter and three plastic matchcases, two of which look like windproof lifeboat matches. While I have used matches many times, I've had them fail me more than once. I suggest you look into getting a pair of ferrocerium fire rods if you haven't already. StrikeForce is a good brand, although the diameter has shrunk from 1/2" to 3/8" and the length has shrunk from 3" to 2 1/2". Amazon sells a variety of lengths and diameters fairly inexpensively. I suggested a pair so you can have a new one for your BOB and one to practice with. A heavy plastic pill bottle works well to carry your cotton balls and Vaseline. I don't see much in the way of medical supplies. If you haven't already, consider adding some large dressings, a couple of cravats, moleskin, antiseptic, pain meds, duct tape, etc. And keep it where you can get to it in a hurry. Last suggestion, get several P-38 military can openers and scatter them among your pockets and gear. Your food is in plastic, but you may be able to scrounge or trade for canned food. There are few things more irritating than being hungry, having food in a can that requires an opener and not having one. If you have several, you may be able to make an advantageous trade with someone who did forget to pack a can opener.

Again, good job. I can only guess how many people who had to flee the recent hurricanes in Texas and Florida wish they had been as well prepared as you to bug out.
I don't watch survival "reality" TV to be educated. I watch it to be entertained. There's a BIG difference.
Pilgrim52
Viking Moderator

Postby kmussack » 12 Sep 2017 13:05

Pilgrim52 wrote:...(I don't see a sharpener)...

It's in the leather pouch. "Arkansas Stone", go figure.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby Pilgrim52 » 12 Sep 2017 18:59

I was certain you had a stone in there someplace. Looks like you use it on a regular basis, too! 8-) A Soft Arkansas to judge from the mottled color. Good choice. I have both a pocket size like yours and a 6" bench model. They are inexpensive and produce a good working edge with just a few strokes. The bench model is an oilstone but my pocket model is a waterstone. I figured that I'd always have a bottle of light oil in the shop, but in the wild places water would be more available. Even dirty pond water would be perfectly usable.

You're the first prepper I ever met who carries miniature bolt cutters in his BOB. Long ago, I carried a 3ft bolt cutter in my pickup tool kit in case of a general breakdown or widespread emergency that might force me to cut a lock off a gate or cut through a chain link fence to avoid trouble spots or take a shortcut. Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to buy a new bolt cutter and keep it in my Jeep tool kit.
I don't watch survival "reality" TV to be educated. I watch it to be entertained. There's a BIG difference.
Pilgrim52
Viking Moderator

Postby Ekiwinox » 12 Sep 2017 22:37

"The bench model is an oilstone but my pocket model is a waterstone." Opine please.

So a stone is not a stone is not a stone? Perhaps the same stone can when new turn into either an oilstone or a waterstone but no going back after that?

In a pinch could they be interchangeable?
Ekiwinox

Postby kmussack » 13 Sep 2017 02:56

To sharpen a blade with a stone is to "whet" the blade, hence the term "whetstone" not "wetstone".

Some folks get this mixed up because water can be used in the process to carry away the tiny bits of steel (swarf) left on the stone by the process thereby making the stone wet. In some cases oil may be used in lieu of water.

Too much lubrication from water or oil during the sharpening process can actually hinder sharpening. I use WD-40 on my stones and then wipe them down with a paper towel to clear the stone grit of "swarf" thereby exposing the grit facilitating the sharpening process.
kmussack

Postby whls4legs » 13 Sep 2017 10:05

I shoot em clean with a little brake cleaner.
whls4legs

Return to BoB