Spork Question

Get out and enjoy nature

Moderator: Pilgrim52

Spork Question

Postby Pilgrim52 » 03 Dec 2016 16:15

I'm curious, how many people here use/like sporks? The reason I ask is that I have tried such alleged eating tools in disposable form (KFC among other fast food outlets save $$$ by providing only spoons with toothed edges instead of actual forks knives and spoons) and found them useless as either forks or spoons. I ascribe to the belief that no multipurpose tool (with the exception of the legendary P-38 can opener) can do any job as well as a tool designed to do one specific job. A few come close, but IMO, the spork isn't one of them. I brought this question up because, last month, I taught a two day survival course. I had passed out a list to the students covering personal items they should bring which included mess gear. One person purchased a titanium spork with the idea of simplifying her survival gear list. I admit, it probably sounded good to an inexperienced beginner but, like me, she decided halfway through her freeze dried entrée that the reality did not match the advertised hype. I brought extra utensils expecting that someone would forget to bring theirs and so was able to help her out. We agreed that the "tines" don't work at all like a real fork but they do a good job of lowering the capacity of the spoon to hold liquids like soup or broth and make spillage more likely. However, I don't claim a complete knowledge of everything so I'm asking anyone who has a more favorable opinion of sporks to please enlighten me as to why.

BTW, I should add that the student decided to leave her titanium spork in her emergency kit despite it's drawbacks because she can't return it, she can make do with it in an emergency and she spent about $10 on it.
I don't watch survival "reality" TV to be educated. I watch it to be entertained. There's a BIG difference.
Pilgrim52
Viking Moderator

Re: Spork Question

Postby Kolt » 03 Dec 2016 17:28

I have a long handled titanium spork that I received as a gift hat I find useful mainly due to the long handle. It is useful for MREs and Mountain House meals when eaten out of the bag. The long handle keeps you from getting your fingers messy.

Take care,
K
"I do today what others will not do, so I can do tomorrow what others cannot do" ... unknown
"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty." Proverbs 27:12
Kolt

Postby kmussack » 04 Dec 2016 02:13

Open the bag along the long edge.
This keeps it more shallow.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby Pilgrim52 » 04 Dec 2016 13:15

I have a long handled titanium spoon too. Made by Optimus, I bought it from Cabela's several years ago when they send me a $10 off any purchase coupon. It retailed for $12 so I couldn't turn down a deal like that. But what I really liked was the squared off end. It makes scraping the last of the food from inside whatever container it's in so much easier. especially if the container is a throwaway like an MRE or freeze-dried entrée envelope. You can sort of use the side of a spork or a regular spoon in a similar manner, but it's nowhere near as easy or efficient. Somewhere in my gear corner is an aluminum el cheapo spork I found at an abandoned campsite. When I find it again, I'm going to file off those ridiculous points to a more square end and see if the modification is an improvement.
I don't watch survival "reality" TV to be educated. I watch it to be entertained. There's a BIG difference.
Pilgrim52
Viking Moderator

Postby Pilgrim52 » 30 Mar 2017 20:23

I found the spork. It is now (after clipping off the tines with a diagonal cutters and smoothing down the sharp edges), a decent eating tool.

BTW, that had been the only piece of gear I own that I had never modified in any way to better suit my needs. And so my search continues for the one piece of gear that can't be improved. By me, anyway. :roll:
Pilgrim52
Viking Moderator

Postby Joe » 03 Apr 2017 22:11

Chopstix and the long handled mre spoon. And yeah- slit the bag long ways.
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Return to Camping / Outdoors