Iron Viking 2009

Event planning and reporting

Moderator: mosby's men

Iron Viking 2009

Postby Joe » 21 Apr 2009 07:18

Who: Men and Women (children with Joe's permission) who want to test themselves
What: Minimalist Wilderness Survival Exercise
When: October 8 - 12 (Thursday - Monday) - Columbus Day weekend
Where: Ozark Mountains (still working on the exact location but it all looks pretty much the same)
Why: Because I'm gonna do it and it's more fun with friends

Concept
It started here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=783
Well, it started years ago when we hosted a similar event and despite the "Oh YEAH! - I'm IN!"s very few showed up. It's okay, I understand - this is hard core. Not everyone is up to it. I'll tell you this though - if you want to do this - you will succeed - I will do my best to ensure you don't die :mrgreen:

Minimalist
We will have a very limited (some would say "extreme") packing list - if it's not on the list you may not bring it. Most will be shocked at the minimalism. Just for starters - tobacco ain't on the list. Smoker? Dipper? Get over it - you'll live. I was a very heavy dipper and did several similar (in that the packing list was austere) events in the past - and yet, here I am! :)

A BoB would be luxury. A PSK (personal survival kit) would be be a Godsend - we will have neither.

If you have a bonafide medical condition - you will be able to bring those items. Same with glasses.

Beyond that - I'm not saying just yet. There will be a shake down immediately prior to the start and cheaters will be sent home.

EDIT: Packing list here : http://www.vikingpreparedness.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1534

Wilderness Survival
Start brushing up on your skills this summer. Read books, ask questions and read this forum. Practice. This is not a "campout" - this is wilderness survival. This is not a "class" (although we will all share techniques) - it is an exercise. It will be mildly physical - wilderness survival usually is. If you can walk a couple miles through the mountains - cross country - in one go and not die - you will do fine. If you cannot - well then, you have all summer to get ready. And hey - you won't be carrying a BoB! :)

People who survive wilderness survival experiences are usually hungry when they come out. Yeah... Let's just say we won't be eating spaghetti and chili.

Exercise
In that you will be tested - as an individual and as a group. There will be tasks to perform. You will pass or you will fail. Regardless - you will learn. Those who pass may get rewards - those who fail get nothing. This is a training event only in the sense that we are getting out and doing. This is not a "class" or series of classes. We won't sit down and talk about how to build a fire before we start. We won't give a class on building snares before we start. It will just be "Okay, build a fire." (there - you have two hints).

There will be no winner or loser - this is not a competition like that. There will be no "Master Survivor Award" and we will not "vote anyone off the island." In real survival situations successful groups pull together. Having said that - you will be given individual tasks to perform - as individuals.

Cost
It won't be more than $70 a piece and probably less.
Yes, you will have to take off work - you have plenty of time to arrange that.
Yes, you will have to travel to and from the exercise location - it's still CHEAP.
It will be a pay in advance (no refunds) deal to force folks to commit.

When we get closer to the event I will take a survey of participants to see if we want t-shirts for the survivors. I know I do but they will cost about $10 additional.
EDIT: I'm just going to include Ts in the price

Okay survivors - are you up to it?
Talk is cheap.

Facta non Verba

EDIT: Signup here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1858
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Re: October Surprise

Postby tdale » 21 Apr 2009 08:54

This will be a tuffy. My wife's birthday is October 8 and my oldest daughter's birthday is October 14. I want to go, but I'll have to think about whether or not missing the wife's birthday is a good idea.
tdale

Wife's Birthday

Postby Joe » 21 Apr 2009 09:08

You KNOW what I'm gonna say, right?

What could be a better B-day present...?

What could be more romantic...?

What would be more memorable...?

Than BRINGING your wife to the MWSE?

You would earn HUGE mommy points!

heh,heh, heh.

Hey - you could celebrate her birthday early.
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby baliff » 21 Apr 2009 10:23

If I can get the time off (limited vacation time at new job), I will be there.
baliff

Postby tdale » 21 Apr 2009 11:08

I'll figure something out. I'm fairly certain I would earn negative points just for suggesting I bring her on her birthday. I may have to do something shocking, like finishing my honey do list in it's entirity. I dunno. I'm workin it. ;)
tdale

Postby tdale » 21 Apr 2009 11:11

So, we've axed the "whatever will fit in a gallon ziplock" approach and will now have an exact packing list? Can't wait to see the packing list. I'm always up for a good laugh. :twisted:
tdale

Postby Jeepwidow » 21 Apr 2009 11:34

Okay, someone is gonna have to explain the "romantic" part to me??
Jeepwidow

Postby Ziptie » 21 Apr 2009 14:02

The Ozarks sound closer to VA Beach, I'm itching for this now.

Zip
Ziptie

Postby annabanana » 21 Apr 2009 20:50

is coffee on the list? a.b.
"A prudent man foreseeth the evil..." Proverbs 22:3a
annabanana

Postby MacMahon » 21 Apr 2009 22:07

Sounds dandy! I cant wait for the pacing list!
^ insert letter "cay" it still doesnt wor.
MacMahon

Next

Return to Linkups