FISHING KITS

Techniques, Procedures, Experiences

Moderator: Pilgrim52

FISHING KITS

Postby kmussack » 15 Oct 2017 08:02

The History Channel produces a reality show called; ALONE. It's your basic outdoor survival Gut-Check kind of scenario. A common thread on this show is proximity to water with abundant fish. The contestants spend most of their day tending a single hand line and rejoice upon catching a single fish to eat that day. (Participation is an effective weight loss regimen.)

While watching the first episode I wondered; why just one hand-line? Why not put as many hooks in the water as you practically can? Wouldn't this prove more productive?

These questions prompted me to examine my gear and review the fishing kit in my INCH kit. It contained the usual stuff but was uninspired and pretty conventional. So I decided to take some action to improve my capabilities to catch fish under austere conditions.

Starting with an automatic fishing reel I began to assemble fishing kits.
This reel comes filled with 60-pound test nylon line with a snap swivel attached.

Using Berkley Trilene 12-pound test mono-filament line I tied 2-foot long leaders to accommodate a hook and a sinker.

The hooks are Eagle Claw #6 plain shank snells.

The sinkers are Eagle Claw 1/4-ounce brass casting sinkers.

I rigged each reel with the tackle and placed each reel into a small zip-lock bag. All fitted out each kit weighs a mere 64-grams (That's 2.25-ounces here in 'merica.)

Keeping in mind the many hooks approach to "survival" fishing I assembled 12-kits.

If two is one then I'm all set here. At a weight of 1.7 pounds these kits will allow me to put twelve hooks in the water at various locations, a veritable fish trap line. (Not to mention the manic level of redundancy.)
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Re: FISHING KITS

Postby Joe » 20 Oct 2017 16:15

You can also hang lines from branches, trot lines, gill nets ...

Why do I continue to procrastinate on this (assembling, distributing fishing kits)?
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Postby Pilgrim52 » 20 Nov 2017 21:49

kmussack and Joe's comments remind me of something author George Jasper (6 Ways In, 12 Ways Out) mentioned in his book about a group of military types who didn't have any luck at trapping during their training mission. They couldn't understand it. Every time they went into a patrol base (or, as civilians would call it, a "campsite"), they would put out a trap for any furry varmints in the area. Mr. Jasper, who is well versed and experienced in sustainment trapping, observed that the problem lay in the fact that they put out "a" trap. Ten traps would have had a much better chance of reducing a furry quadruped to possession and a place on that day's menu. The same idea certainly should be applied to automatic fishing setups. I am a BIG fan of automatic reels that set the hook when taken, but lacking such handy high tech gadgets at times, I have done about as well just tying the line to a tree and casting the baited hook out into the water. Ten such lines almost always delivers something for a meal, even if it turns out to be carp. :(

(Funny thing. The hungrier I get, the less choosy I become.)
I don't watch survival "reality" TV to be educated. I watch it to be entertained. There's a BIG difference.
Pilgrim52
Viking Moderator

Postby kmussack » 21 Nov 2017 04:02

Now that you mention it.
Six locking steel wire snairs also ride in my INCH kit.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby Ekiwinox » 21 Nov 2017 21:08

"Why do I continue to procrastinate on this (assembling, distributing fishing kits)?"
~Joe

This little chore is perfect to delegate out to perhaps younger (or older or new) members of the group. Using the instructions provided in this thread is a great help. In the Spring time I see great enthusiasm in the fishing isle along with the best sales of the year. Toss some $$ and some youth at the contained, short term learning opportunity. Charge them with making a certain number of kits with the funds. Below certain ages youth fish for free. It is also a good topic for an event where people teach people skills.

I have enjoyed PastorDowell's Youtubes where he is teaching a group of youth bricklaying and tire changing. I would enjoy a youtube of him tasking the youth with assembling and using some survival fishing kits. Reminds me of 4-H where the youth were tasked with making a first aid kit for their pets for judging. Ours had no pet so they made a kit for a snake that included an ace bandage. Maybe have a contest for make it yourself lure as there are probably lots of youtubes on this.

I found PastorDowell youtubes from your channels link and from there jsnip4.

The gun club had a ladies day. The ladies just loved fishing. For those who had zero experience they could practice casting on land to catch fake fish. As this seemed to be a pamper the ladies day, fish caught that were not tossed back, were cleaned, put into a plastic bag and stored on ice to be delivered at the end of the day's activities. These ladies were determined to Get Their Fish and cheers went up around the tiny pond at each catch. Note they did not even have to put the worm on the hook themselves. One guy was also pretty much dedicated to untangling fishing lines from trees. These ladies were having tons of fun.
Ekiwinox

Postby kmussack » 23 Nov 2017 10:29

I was just reminded of an idea I had some time ago for a combination motorcycle rally, orienteering course and fishing tournament.

A course set to go from farm pond to farm pond; where each rider would dismount and fish until he had landed at least 5-pounds of fish then move on to the next pond ending at a local club where a fish fry would be held. Officials at each farm pond would record each riders' catch and collect keepers.

The winner would be determined by dividing the pounds of fish caught by his time on the course.

What a way to spend a summer day.
kmussack

Postby Joe » 26 Nov 2017 19:16

Cool event
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Return to Wilderness Survival