Hello from Canada

Stop here first, please.

Hello from Canada

Postby Jayne » 10 Aug 2017 04:29

Hi all,

First, thank you to Pastor Joe for allowing me to join the forum, it is much appreciated.

I found Pastor Joe's channel kind of by accident while surfing YouTube for prepper videos. His videos aren't slick and flashy like some other channels, but their simplicity, honesty, and direct nature grabbed me. I became a subscriber. When the whole, "demonetize anything conservative" fiasco happened, I decided to put my money where my mouth is and became a Patreon supporter of his channel. So, here I am!

I remember when I become a survivalist, it was a beautiful summer day in my grandparents motorhome. I had found a novel in the local bookstore in the small town where my grandparents lived while I was visiting for the summer. It was The Survivalist:Total War by Jerry Ahern. The year was 1981. It was the height of the cold war and Ronald Reagan had just been elected president of the US. The novel made a huge impression on me and from that point on, I "woke up".

I ended up joining the Royal Canadian Air Force. I did a 20 year stint. After that, I retired and started working for a crown corporation (federal government owned company) that provides engineering support to the military here in Canada. I worked in the Arctic and then as the manager in charge of our engineering support to our troops in Afghanistan. Now, I support the research and development arm of the Canadian Armed Forces.

I started shooting at eight. I have been a gun owner since my grandparents gave me a Winchester 9422 for my 10th birthday. Although the laws are annoying here in Canada, we can own most of what folks in the US can own, although with many more restrictions.

I am currently what Pastor Joe refers to as a Stage 2 prepper, I have several months of food, water, survival supplies, guns and ammo stockpiled.

My spouse (and Intensive Care Unit nurse) and I just bought a new home with 12 acres outside of the city. It is a compromise, close enough for us to be able to commute, as both our jobs are still in the city, but far enough out to avoid most of the chaos when the SHTF. We moved in this summer and are gradually getting the place set up the way we want it. We have many plans, but the first among them is a large garden to start producing some of our own food.

I have been very fortunate, though my work, I have discovered a small group of likeminded individuals with rural properties and a prepper mindset. I am slowly building my local circle of allies.

This has already gone on a bit long, but I wanted to let the members of the forum know a little bit about me.

I look forward to learning and sharing with the other Vikings!

All the best,

- Jayne

PS, My username comes from the character Jayne in the short lived western/sci-fi TV series Firefly and follow up movie Serenity. Jayne was the brash, foul-mouthed, uncouth mercenary who liked guns...lots of guns (and a grenade or two). He was one of my favourite characters.
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Jayne, how many weapons you plan on bringing? You only got the two arms.
Jayne Cobb: I just get excitable as to choice - like to have my options open.
Jayne

Re: Hello from Canada

Postby kmussack » 10 Aug 2017 04:44

Me thinks you'll fit right in.
Welcome to the forum, ah.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Return to Welcome to Viking Preparedness