AN INTERESTING PUBLICATION

Gathering place to socialize and discuss things that fit nowhere else.

AN INTERESTING PUBLICATION

Postby kmussack » 12 Oct 2017 11:19

“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Re: AN INTERESTING PUBLICATION

Postby eossipov » 12 Oct 2017 12:25

Nice, thanks for the link, you find the information valuable?
or was the 'interesting' more along the lines of propaganda interesting?

I mean, I'd read it, but its over 100 pages, not exactly a 'skim' type document.
I try and subscribe to Hanlon's Razor as a first round indicator, but sometimes there is more, the more is what keeps me up at night.
eossipov

Postby kmussack » 12 Oct 2017 13:30

It's old, AUGUST 1979, but it's a scientific paper published by the Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
Yes, it's useful and I think germane to what we do.
Take what is useful, discard the rest.
94 pages with lots of tables, not a "skim" project but readable on a stormy Sunday morning with your coffee.
“The modern world demands that we approve what it should not even dare ask us to tolerate.” Nicolas Gomez Davila
kmussack

Postby eossipov » 12 Oct 2017 14:29

thank you, appreciate the headsup! :)
I try and subscribe to Hanlon's Razor as a first round indicator, but sometimes there is more, the more is what keeps me up at night.
eossipov

Postby Hawk45 » 12 Oct 2017 18:18

Considering Cresson Kearny's name is on it, it IS a KEEPER!

Thanks! It is obviously a small part of the research that was done during the cold war.
It takes a village......to feed a T Rex

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!

I hated going to weddings. All the grandmas would poke me saying, "You're next". They stopped that when I started doing it to them at funerals.
Hawk45

Postby Ekiwinox » 12 Oct 2017 21:55

"Women who give birth during a time of dire national emergency must nurse their infants, whether they want to or not."

Page 46.5 Step right up Ladies and Gentlemen for Breastfeeding 101
Print this out and put it in your three ring binders.
A topic not usually discussed in those other common, every day survivalist web sights. Only here folks.

Breastfeeding should begin as soon as possible after birth. Immediately is not too soon. The baby should be naked skin to naked skin with the mother. A baby does not suck milk out of the breast as it easily does out of a bottle. Rather the process of nursing is more involved or intricate. The baby suckles, not at all a sucking process, more like a massaging process, out the extremely valuable colostrum followed later by milk. One does not want the baby at the end of the nipple as one might imagine the process works. Using that process will lead to an unhappy baby and an unhappy mother. Both will cry which will make you unhappy. The nipple must be considerably farther into the babies mouth than one might imagine in order for the suckling process to work. That is simply where the parts that need to be working for the process to work are. Looking at an infant and making an "O" large with one's own mouth will automatically make the infant do the same. (The coolest ever restaurant or in line at the grocery store trick. When the person in front of you has the baby looking at you, do the goldfish "O" mouth open, close, open, close, open, close. The baby will copy you. When the parent notices their child doing this they will have zero clue why. But the baby and you will know.) At that moment jam the breast into the infants mouth. Nobody ever tells brand new mom's this. This is the whole clue, the whole secret of "How to Breastfeed Successfully" but nobody will ever tell you. This will promote the correct latch for suckling instead of massively irritating and painful, useless as it does not work sucking. Until this suckling process is perfected pacifiers should NOT be used. Pretty much pacifiers should not be used as their use decreases the amount of milk a mom produces for the baby. Introducing a pacifier is introducing weaning. Introducing weaning decreases the amount of milk a mom produces. A pacifier is a self fulfilling prophesy. A pacifier puts a nursing mom behind the eight ball with zero chance of recovery to feed her child ever again. Just say no to pacifiers if one wants the child to have a chance at a mom who can feed them. The reason being it is the baby suckling which sends the signal to produce milk. Any pacifier use does not transmit the babies need to the breast. The breast not sensing that need will not produce the milk the baby needs. If it seems the lactating woman is not producing enough milk these are the emergency steps to take immediately. Let the mom rest. Take away all duties except nursing the baby. Right now this is the primary duty for the mom and for the baby. Mess this up and toss everything out of the window. Keep the baby skin to skin with the mom. Get the mom as much sleep as possible. ***Provide the mom lots and lots and lots of fluids to drink.*** Have the baby have total access to mom.

Would you believe a mom can breastfeed a baby on just one side?
Would you believe that by switching which side the baby spends more time on the one side the baby is breastfeed on can change?
Would you believe that often women accidentally nurse more on one side than the other and become uneven? To change that increase the time on the under servicing side and decrease on the overused side until evened out.
Would you believe there is such a thing as being breastfeed out?
Especially in the early evening a babies nursing demands outpace every mother's capacity to meet the overwhelming demand.
Breastfeeding is a team of mom and baby.
Sometimes mom's just want to walk away.
Let them.
The baby will cry.
Sometimes, it is only 1 out of 1,000 times the mom's needs need to prevail.
The mom feels "touched" out.
They do not want to be touched by anything.
That little thing wants to touch her again.
Eventually the mom's own full breasts will bring her back home.
It is normal.
But don't worry. This team is a two way street.
One Thanksgiving the babies Mom will work hard to impress both Grandma's at the same time. While the mom is slaving away in the kitchen trying for a perfect photo shoot with the perfectly tanned bird the Grandma's will be doing what Grandma's do. Maybe Grandpa's too. As they are holding the baby on their laps during dinner one will slip a bit of mashed potato into the baby. The other will slip a bit of sweet potato, the other a wee bit o pumpkin pie with whipped cream, the last just a smidgen of chocolate pudding also with the requisite whipped cream. Finally, feet tired and breasts full the mom takes a recliner and gets a second to feed her "totally neglected" child. Offering an overfull breast the child with a very full belly turns their face away.

The nursing relationship can be beneficial for quite a while. There is no time when a child is too old to nurse. Nature has a way of handling this. Society is a bit sensitive and touchy on the topic. Rules and regulations seem to overwhelm the natural weaning process as "the proofs and figures ranged in columns before the learn'd astronomer did". If one feels qualified to be an expert in the topic on when nursing a baby should stop fear not. Nature has a handle on this. For some reason all children tend to stop nursing before graduating from college or at least grad school and if not by then than surely before graduating doctorate school. The nursing relationship extends years. One day a mom realizes she has no idea the last time her child nursed. The exact, specific day vanished.

Nursing is more than providing nutritional nourishment from one's own body. It is about providing other types of nourishment to support the growth of the child from one's own self. It is a healthy and natural extension of breastfeeding. It is exactly how nature is designed to work.

Eventually, they are nursing you. It is a relationship.

Any thing I missed? I probably have the answers right in my back pocket. Is there a word limit you want the answer? I might need one.
Ekiwinox

Postby whls4legs » 13 Oct 2017 07:39

Honestly, it never looked that complicated.
whls4legs

Postby Hawk45 » 13 Oct 2017 10:43

whls4legs wrote:Honestly, it never looked that complicated.

Milk a cow or a goat by hand sometimes then and you will have some sort of idea what they are talking about. Just beware of swinging tails though!

A now deceased member of the team here had a wife that was the President of the local La Leiche league. She insisted in doing that until her son turned 5. She was totally useless in a number of other ways also. She did not take kindly to me referring to La Leiche as the Spanish version of 'Mother Cow'. Her size did not help either. While I have nothing against Breast feeding, it should be tempered with reason. Besides it keeps the Dad from being woken up for those 2 am feedings. LOL
It takes a village......to feed a T Rex

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!

I hated going to weddings. All the grandmas would poke me saying, "You're next". They stopped that when I started doing it to them at funerals.
Hawk45

Postby whls4legs » 14 Oct 2017 08:27

Actually. Have a goat 'share' with neighbors. 'Share' meaning when primary goat keepers are gone overnight or a long weekend, we fill in, and pitch in weekly as needed. Worth it. Goat milk eats well. If I were to 'handle' a human breast the way I do a goat teat, the owner of said breast would surely beat me to death with it.

We went thru a short but hectic time here when babies seemed to be coming out of the woodwork. It was a breast festival. You could not swing a cat without hitting one of 'em. Regardless of the current activity, out came the cover, (sometimes), out came lunch. Board game or bucking fire wood, no matter.

A culture shock for an older guy at first. But eating on the go does keep things moving. And I'm all for that.

As far as baby/mom communication, what I saw was, "Are you through?" "No. No, I'm not. I intend to over eat and throw up on you. Or anyone else willing to hold me." But that was thru eye contact, so I could have been mistaken.

They're in the 2s and 3s now. I miss the babies, but these are pretty cool, too.

Breast pumps were invented by women. 2AM; "Just set it in the warm water for a few minutes, honey."
whls4legs

Return to Mead Hall