Viking Fest (pics added)

Gathering place to socialize and discuss things that fit nowhere else.

Viking Fest (pics added)

Postby Joe » 19 Apr 2009 17:00

The Fest has ended.
It was a great start to what may become an annual event.

About 40 souls ventured forth to train, be trained, camp, talk, share, and fellowship for a long weekend.
We had classes on fire building, first aid, BOVs, BoBs, game preparation, FMA, suturing, knots and ropes, campfire cooking, kids lost proofing, tomahawk throwing, making lye soap, setting up shelters, field hygeine and general camping.

Some folks slept in camper trailers, some slept in poncho hooches. One crazy pilgrim slept under a painter's drop cloth. Some were old time campers, some were brand new. We had folks from 3 to 63 out there having fun. Everyone learned something, even old hands like me :). Some lived 20 minutes down the road, some lived on the other side of the country.

The best part for me was, like always, putting faces to names/handles and just getting to talk to folks about everything from building cob ovens our nation's food supply.

We'll be getting pictures up eventually and you'll wish you had been there! :)

My personal thanks to everyone who came, everyone who instructed, everyone who shared. When it comes down to it - it's all about people.
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Re: Viking Fest

Postby Pilgrim52 » 19 Apr 2009 20:18

PAINTERS DROP CLOTH???

I resemble that remark.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously, I couldn't agree more. It was a great weekend with some great folks. I enjoyed it immensely. Can't wait for the next one!!
I don't watch survival "reality" TV to be educated. I watch it to be entertained. There's a BIG difference.
Pilgrim52
Viking Moderator

Re: Viking Fest

Postby Joe » 19 Apr 2009 20:35

First Supper

Fire Class

Hawks
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Re: Viking Fest (pics added)

Postby Morrigan » 19 Apr 2009 21:13

Events like this one are what make our country great. Folks with knowledge passing it on, skills being learned, and practiced, people wanting to improve their lives, and getting prepared for whatever may come.

I used a prep skill just last week when a tire literally exploded on the back end of my car. With an umbrella in the car because of the weather, with tools I knew were in place, how to get them out and use them, with a spare tire in it's place, with air in it, my crew and I were able to change a tire in the rain in 19 minutes. That whole episode would have been different if we didn't know what to do. Prepping skills are not outdated, are not silly or extreme. They are the height of practicality and common sense.

Viking Fest was a success in many ways. Folks got out into fresh air, away from electronic life, telephones, work, and were able to live a slower life for 4 days. Kids chased bugs, found snail shells, got dirty. Education came at a relaxed pace, with valuable information passed on. The weather cooperated. Kudos to everyone who came. Thank you Lord for a good event.
Morrigan
Viking Moderator

Postby mosby's men » 19 Apr 2009 22:04

the road warrior award this year without a doubt goes to anna bannana .

i really learned a lot at the chicken butchering classes , i dont think the rooster enjoyed it much though.
2004,2005,2006,2007.2008,2009,2010,2011 ,2013,2014,2015 national winter B.O.B event
2009,2010 viking fest
2011 G.O.T'S
mosby's men
Viking Moderator

Postby OzarkGal » 20 Apr 2009 02:08

Fantastic VikingFest !!
LadyBersa and myself really enjoyed meeting all our great fellow Vikings.
We learned many very useful things at the classes and really enjoyed exchanging ideas on a large variety of subjects.
We're looking forward to the next one !!

Wish we hadn't had to leave on Saturday night and could have stayed through Sunday but we had to be back to take care of our critters. The new chicks that were delivered while we were gone were doing quite well. When we got home we found one of our mules had gotten one of her rear legs tangled in the fence and had broken off two old wood fence posts. After a quick head count all the horses and mules were accounted for and the mule tangled in the fence was uninjured, so all was well.

I am posting some of the pictures we had taken. I wish I would have taken more but I was so busy enjoying everything going on that I forgot about the camera !!

Campfire and Pavillon VikingFest 09 Image

Our camp VF09 Image

Canopy VikingFest 09 Image
OzarkGal

Postby Vic303 » 20 Apr 2009 07:02

Sweet! Wish we could've been there!
Vic303

Postby bruce » 20 Apr 2009 12:49

Had an absolute blast! Learned too much to post. Met very interesting and knowledgeable people.

Everyone that reads this should make it a point to go to future events.

I cannot say enough about the staff and other Festers.

Thanks to all... and a big nice to meet you!
bruce

Postby Jeepwidow » 20 Apr 2009 13:03

My problem is that I have always prided myself on being a loner and now I have FRIENDS...what's up with that?!

Seriously, I loved the classes and wish I could have spent more time out there. My fave part was just getting to fellowship with like minded folks....people just like me!

Now for future consideration:
Bees 101
Goats 101
Experimental gardening (hydroponics, no till methods, etc.)
butter and cheese making
maybe some quilting 101
Edible plants (or did I miss that one)
all that great homesteading stuff

My filipino cane fighting stick is ordered and I can't wait to practice <evil laugh>
Jeepwidow

Postby annabanana » 20 Apr 2009 13:50

Hi all left denver. only one tick so far a.b.
"A prudent man foreseeth the evil..." Proverbs 22:3a
annabanana

Next

Return to Mead Hall