Tiny House -vs- Too Much Stuff

Gathering place to socialize and discuss things that fit nowhere else.

Tiny House -vs- Too Much Stuff

Postby Joe » 02 Sep 2010 08:09

I have a friend who lives in a small house.
It's not "tiny" ( http://tinyhouseblog.com/ , http://www.tinyhousedesign.com/ ) but it is very, very small - especially when condidering the three kiddos.

Tiny houses have a lot to offer:
They are cheap to build
They are quick to build
They are simple

IMHO, a tiny house beats a large tent - hands down.

But I have WAY too much stuff to even consider living in one ......for now.

I have a lot of stuff because I live PACE - I have for example 4 shovels, 4 rakes, 2 chain saws and multiples of most things: cars, clothes, water filters, cooking implements and so on.

I have a lot of stuff because I have been economically blessed.
I have a lot of stuff because I have been at this a very long time.
And I don't want to give it up just to live in a small house.
I LIKE my house.

But we have been considering (to various degrees) .......moving.
So that's ONE

I think tiny houses are a great idea for those who bug out (bugger outers - no comments from across the pond, thank you very much! :) )

Why? Because buggerouters won't have a lot of stuff (typically). The concept of bugging out (according to Joe) is to MOVE!
Right now! Quickly! When it's time to go - GO!

Flee or die.

So, you won't be able to carry a lot of stuff.
So your destination dwelling, unless you have pre-stocked it (and most cannot afford to), need not be large.

So I think if one is expecting company during some Bad Time in the future - building some tiny houses would be a good idea.
Some people call these tiny houses sheds.

But we have to consider "kitchens", bathrooms, and what not also.

What do Y'ALL think?
Joe
Viking Chieftain

Re: Tiny House -vs- Too Much Stuff

Postby prairies » 02 Sep 2010 08:30

We live in a big old house.......

"Character" is what my wife called it......... me.... I call it a lot of obligation of time that could be spent better elsewhere. A lot of learning potential.... reworking plumbing..... rewiring house........patching fixing... updating...painting .. etc. etc...., but for me, I don't look forward with a grin to running wire or tearing apart a wall.

Have to heat and cool the space.........

My choice, smaller house, big yard, big garage.... but that's me.
prairies

Postby bbkaren » 02 Sep 2010 09:43

If we're in a bugout situation, "kitchen" and "bathroom" take on a whole new meaning. Traditional luxuries aren't going to be available (probably) at that point.

For us, "shelter" is job 1 if things go bad...

In Cody Lundin's book ("when all hell breaks loose") he talks about an improvised outdoor kitchen and bathroom.

Say what you like about the guy (and seeing him on TV now he's a lot different than he portrays himself in his books lol) but I think there's a lot of ideas he comes up with that you wouldn't normally even think of!
bbkaren
Viking Moderator

Postby WagionAK » 02 Sep 2010 09:46

I lived in a 400 square foot cabin with two German Shepherds and usually a roommate for the past 4 years. Hard to beat a small dwelling you can find anything you need fast there simple are few places to look. I also had a wood shed and a rented storage place for other things but it was pretty cheap and easier than lugging tools and gear up 80 steps every time I wanted to use them. Split prep stuff half at cabin half at storage place.
WagionAK

Postby Modestia » 02 Sep 2010 13:08

Tiny Houses, Large Barn? (keep in mind resources would likely limit over ambitious plans.)

Maybe having a small living area, and separate storage might be the way to go; heck maybe you could store stuff in one or more of those shipping containers...

If I had a small community of people “camping” on my property, it might be nice to have "The Barn" where we could all meet together, eat occasional meals, and socialize without invading someone’s house... It could also double as storage provided it was secured. Perhaps the campers could hold an old-fashioned barn raising. Another option would be a barn kit.

Having common bathroom/shower facilities like those found in some campgrounds (perhaps a more primitive “Wile E. Coyote” version would be in order) would save on plumbing and make the living area safer. That’s how the cabins in a KOA campground (if you want to call that camping…) are laid out. No facilities in the cabins; showers and restrooms are in an outbuilding… :)
"If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk. When you give him the milk, he'll probably ask you for a straw..."
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, by Laura Joffe Numeroff
Modestia

Postby Modestia » 02 Sep 2010 13:15

bbkaren wrote: In Cody Lundin's book ("when all hell breaks loose") he talks about an improvised outdoor kitchen and bathroom.

Say what you like about the guy (and seeing him on TV now he's a lot different than he portrays himself in his books lol) but I think there's a lot of ideas he comes up with that you wouldn't normally even think of!

That was my impression as well. He comes across very differently on TV. I also found it interesting that his books don't focus on ABO stuff, but are actully very practical. He's more interested in what works, than staying "natural", at least as far as survival instruction goes. He's "mister barefoot" with regards to how he lives his life, but I think he would raise an eyebrow if one of his city slicker students started taking off thier boots while hiking in the desert... :)
"If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk. When you give him the milk, he'll probably ask you for a straw..."
Modestia

Postby bbkaren » 02 Sep 2010 13:25

Yeah, on the TV show, he's a bit of a puffpuff I think lol. The two of them are almost like a gay couple. I can't explain it lol!

Anyway, his book is definitely worth getting! I haven't seen the other (98.6 keeping your a$$ alive) one but as modestia mentions, he makes use of practical things that are likely to be laying around (soda bottles, household linens, mice, rats, etc.) rather than crafting things from natural grasses and tree branches lol.

Exc book!
bbkaren
Viking Moderator

Postby Modestia » 02 Sep 2010 14:44

bbkaren wrote:Yeah, on the TV show, he's a bit of a puffpuff I think lol. The two of them are almost like a gay couple. I can't explain it lol!

Anyway, his book is definitely worth getting! I haven't seen the other (98.6 keeping your a$$ alive) one but as modestia mentions, he makes use of practical things that are likely to be laying around (soda bottles, household linens, mice, rats, etc.) rather than crafting things from natural grasses and tree branches lol.

Exc book!

"98.6 keeping your a$$ alive" is the BoB / "Hey I'm lost in the woods, now what do I do" book. Both are pretty good, although they tend to be "salty" in language and tone...

The first half of the book is about "Thinking and Physics" (he gets metaphysical at times, but otherwise good info about what your brain does to your body in a survival situation), the 2nd half is about "Stuff"...

I recommend both books to folks that haven't read them, although I would say that all things being equal, Joe's book is a better choice if you want to actually DO stuff.

In my mind, having the knowledge and ideas in Cody's books are great, but having the EXPERIANCE that comes if you work through Joe's book is more valuable. One of the takeaways from Joe's book is that "survival" is a way of life, not a set of procedures or nifty gear... :) That's probably why homesteading works long term. Eventually your MRE's will run out...
Modestia

Postby Sur-Sol » 03 Sep 2010 06:40

Last edited by Sur-Sol on 22 Oct 2012 13:31, edited 2 times in total.
Sur-Sol

Postby BullFrogtango » 03 Sep 2010 07:27

I was thinking Tiny House....
Yurt/GeoDome on top of a poured hardened Bunker/Shelter beneath it..... to use for shelter, cool storage and storage in general

We have talked about purchasing land
Creating foundations with septic in place
Purchasing Material's and storing them within small town near property to pre-determined bug out location

BFT
Si vis pacem, para bellum
"If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

As Goethe said “None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.”
BullFrogtango

Next

Return to Mead Hall